ROWAN MAGAZINE 52
Rowan Knitting and Crochet Magazine No. 52 (ZM52) features handknitting and crochet designs from Marie Wallin • Martin Storey • Sarah Hatton • Ruth Green • Brandon Mably • Kaffe Fassett • Julia Frank • Jennie Atkinson • Lisa Richardson • Jemma Weston • Josh Bennett • Amanda Crawford.
Knitwear is high on the agenda again this season featuring in many of the catwalk collections.
• The personality of yarn is allowed to express itself with nothing complex just simple and honest.
• This is the season of extremes with different scales of yarn emerging from the super lightweight through to the super chunky.
• Felted and matted yarns are equally as important as the tweedy vintage yarns.
• Slubby and overblown thick and thins sit happily alongside the understated and the sophisticated
• These extremes are also seen in knit design from the neat and elegant to the grungy and worn out.
• Different scales of fairisle, motifs, stripes and checks are used together to create the ‘untraditional fairisle’.
• Textures are exaggerated with the finest, smallest stitches being magnified to create simple but contemporary designs.
• Cables and arans are seen traditionally as well as being unconventional. Stitches are scaled up and also knitted in super chunky yarn, twisted, coiled and knotted together
• This is the season of the ‘cosy’ knit, the ‘wrap up against the elements’ knit, sweaters that ‘cocoon’ the body.
• Capes are still important as well as the key accessories of large wrap scarves, leg warmers and chunky socks.